Wednesday, July 04, 2007

A bit more progress

Progress Notes

Fourth of July, and to celebrate Independence Day we mostly just hung around the boat.

Dave and Star made progress on cleaning up the bright work (woodwork for the rest of us) and I walked off to the grocery store to get a couple of items we forgot. I found a bit of a shortcut, so the grocery store is only 15 minutes or so walk from the boat yard. Not too bad with a small load of goods. For the large items (60 pounds of ice for the ice box) I still think the taxi is the plan, at least on the way back. Unless I can find a ride from someone.

A BIG BUG

Sitting in the lobby of the hotel last night, as I waited for Dave to write up his adventures, I felt what I first took to be the breeze flapping my pants leg. With doors open and a bit of weather this was not an unreasonable guess. When I felt something sharp on my knee, I looked down to find a large, dark bug crawling up my leg. I squawked, jumped up from my seat and attempted to dislodge said animal from my person. I ended up holding the fabric away from my leg, and someone else swatted the bug off of me. The environmentalists who are staying at the hotel all ran over to look at the creature. One young lady looked up at me and said "It is aggressive!" No Kidding!

I did not take any physical injury, but I have not seen an insect that large in the wild (or on the loose) since we lived in the Philippines. Bugs! Bleech!

Sights around Rockland.

The Atlantic Challenge is a school and workshop teaching traditional boat-building and seamanship. They are just up the hill from the marina where our boat is. They have a totem pole made up of plastic barrels and other found items. I took a picture.

It being June much of Rockland is in bloom. Privet hedges, the last of the lupine, and a few other scented plants. Lovely walking. We have not made it up to the library yet. With the availability of wireless at the boat, we may not need to, except to check out books, and for a research project I am working on.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home