Sunday, July 01, 2007

Hotspot, hotspot, wherefore art thou hotspot?

We have been assured that there is a free wireless hotspot near the boatyard. We have also been assured that pigs fly. I finally found a sympathetic innkeeper who let me camp in his lobby and send our blog articles.

Today we went to the Rockland Café for breakfast (scallop omlettes - eat your hearts out!) And then went to watch Capt. Foss bring the American Eagle into dock.

Now this is a 122 foot long 120 ton schooner, not some rowboat. Foss makes it look easy. Star, Kathy’s mother, is getting excited about the cruise we’ll be taking about the end of July on the American Eagle. For me and Kathy, it’s a trip down memory lane. For those of you who haven’t been following our misadventures from last year, we got our starts sailing on this vessel in 1999.

After seeing the festivities there, we went on to the grocery store and bought food and Ice to last us for a few days and then came home to stash it (technical term) on the boat.

I was just sitting down to rest when every husband’s greatest fear came drifting up out of the companionway: “Honey, would you do a little favor for me?”

She wanted a sunshade rigged to provide shade for the cockpit. Okay no problem. I’ll just get a tarp out and tie it to - what? The masts aren’t up yet. There are no trees nearby. Hell, I’m the highest thing around and if you think I’m gonna stand here and hold this thing, you’re... “What dear? Oh nothing. I’m just mumbling to myself. Shade, huh? Yes dear.”

Well I finally rigged up a line and the boat hooks and somehow managed to get a tarp over the whole lash-up. Looks like hell, but it actually works. Now maybe I can sit down and ... “What dear? Yes, I know it’s my turn to cook dinner. Yes dear, I know you’re hungry. Yes dear”

Actually, I’d better admit that I’m kinda proud of the way I rigged the tarp over the cockpit and dinner worked out fairly well.


But I’m gonna play the henpecked husband bit for all it’s worth.

Dave

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home